Register Now

When not signing into a registered account, you're missing out on several benefits:

- Access to view all public forum sections and posts

- Create and reply to status updates

- View others' member profiles

- Contact other members

- Create and post in your topics

- Manage your own profiles

.. And much more.

CLICK HERE NOW TO REGISTER

Photo

Should go without saying [Rank Archive]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Røb

Røb

Overlord
RSN: Lvl 56 N00b

In most established clans it should go without saying that these are unacceptable, but it apparently needs to be said here.

Lets start with Saturdays trip:

Spoiler

Discussing promotions/leadership information with normal members:

Spoiler

I could write more for each individual issue but i'll just list the main things:

• Lax standards - mains, guests allowed on trips, leading to spies giving locs to main clans
  • Things such as upcoming events discussed by Brandon in the public cc (have seen this several times - that info is private for a reason)
  • Overall poor leadership decisions, in part due to lack of experience (relatively speaking)

Basically, this is the last run for Valhalla with Old School RS. The question is this: Do we want to be taken seriously by PKers and clanners alike as a serious, reputable clan, or do we want to run things in a more lenient fashion with lax standards and be seen by most as a glorified cc team?

Don't know about you but I'm not a fan of dragging Valhalla's name in shit instead of seizing on the unique opportunity we have to build ourselves back up as a serious clan.

C8FUbUi.png

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. - Isaac Asimov

Σκιά Ηγέτης

Pekka

Pekka

RSN: Rangish Tank
Ill write my response when I get to computer.
<p style="text-align:center;"><span style="color:#ffffff;"><em>"I hate to lose more than I love to win."</em></span><br><br>0H7HOEC.png</p><p style="text-align:center;">YBX0dG0.png</p><p style="text-align:center;">hm7Yd9I.png </p><p style="text-align:center;"> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="http://leetscape.com/">Rangish_Tank.png</a></p><p style="text-align:center;"><span style="color:#ffffff;">Also known as Sad Def Noob - the first truly maxed ranged tank with 99 Summoning.</span></p>

Evan

Evan

Overlord
RSN: Evan Bruh

Rob pretty much said everything I was going to say about Saturday's trip. I won't dwell on that, as long as Pekka understands the mistake.

I think the issue starts at Brandon and Pekka giving normal members too much influence in the decisions made during trips. For example:

Spoiler

One of the biggest issues during PKing is a non-officials making decisions on TS such as "stop returning" or "log out". It needs to be clear that a decision like that can only come from select officials. For example:

Spoiler

It's great that you listen to your members and their opinions but when you start treating them like officials (letting them lead trips, fall ins, or downright giving them admin on TS), they're obviously going to start thinking they're entitled to an official's position. Basically, you can't please everyone and there's certain standards and procedures in this clan that you shouldn't be abandoning just to please them.

Brandon and Pekka, its your decision what you want to do. I may say you need to do this or you need to do that but I always mean that in the term of that's what I would do if I were you. At the end of the day, you're the leaders of the clan. Take control and call the shots.

K5nHQXf.png

AYydoLr.png

• Unregistered

I agree that I sat back too much on that last trip. Craig and Adam are good members but they have been acting like officials and that needs to be handled. 

Although this may be Valhallas last run, I intend to find an area in the middle for us, where we can be as proffessional as possible while having fun (remember this is a game) . Bringing mains on offial trips is something that shouldn't be done again. I could tell the members were stressed out and though the small amount of extra help would secure a win for us to end with, but was a mistake.

Pekka has been brought up to date with procedure when no officials are around, what happened saturday will not happen again. With upcoming events, I do sometimes talk about clan wars fights and run ins that I am attempting to set up as I feel it is the members clan as much as it is mine. The way I've been running the clan is by trying to find what the members like to do, and it helps me weigh what to keep scheduling. You bring a good point about being more discreet with the information though.

I will also coach members that we leave voiced for calling that they are voiced to call, not to make desicions. This is something that has been overlooked and can easily be fixed.

Røb

Røb

Overlord

Although this may be Valhallas last run, I intend to find an area in the middle for us, where we can be as proffessional as possible while having fun (remember this is a game) .

Nobody is saying we shouldn't have fun, that doesn't mean that standards and expectations should be lowered or relaxed though. 

I mean it's not like we're talking about unreasonable things here, we're talking about basic things that should go without saying in most half decent clans. If we want to be even remotely competitive with medium-tier clans like AC and SV then we have to take things more seriously and improve standards, not lower them. That and having fun aren't mutually exclusive. 

C8FUbUi.png

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. - Isaac Asimov

Σκιά Ηγέτης

• Unregistered
Then let's do it.

Nopure

Nopure

Legend
RSN: Nopure

Brandon and Pekka, you don't have to take our suggestions and such if you don't believe that they will benefit the clan. However, we have all been in situations of leadership before and know what is needed to be done for Valhalla to be successful.

There are requirements and guidelines in place for a reason. Mains should not be able to attend trips UNLESS they are a clan ally/Retired or w/e. I know you're all for bigger pulls and whatnot but at the end of the day quality > quantity and that's where it matters. Make sure your members are active, posting on forums, getting on IRC. When you get too lax with your members, they take advantage and you guys start losing your control over the clan. Member empowerment can be a good thing, but too much of it can lead to them feeling entitled to something. When they feel entitled, they expect a rank and rage when they do not receive it. I'm all for having fun, but standards do not have to be shit on for us to have fun. 

At the end of the day you guys are the top dogs and YOU should be making the decisions. Members are left unvoiced on TeamSpeak to call and to call only. If they ever make a decision you correct them right away. Keep your standards high and start being serious. There is a point when you can be having TOO much fun and need to tone it down a bit to make correct leadership decisions.

tumblr_lpormlxvxR1qg0puro1_500.gif

N1dGHwU.gif

vFARhmi.png

• Unregistered
I've talked to Craig and Adam about it already. They understand that they are only for calling assistance and should not be pulling fallins and saying to log out.

Evan

Evan

Overlord
RSN: Evan Bruh

I've talked to Craig and Adam about it already. They understand that they are only for calling assistance and should not be pulling fallins and saying to log out.

Are they also calmed down about the whole promotion thing or do they still have the attitude of "i want a promotion or im leaving the clan"?

K5nHQXf.png

AYydoLr.png

Pekka

Pekka

RSN: Rangish Tank

Saturday

I now know how this kind of situations will be handled in the future. Last Saturday was a mess and it will not be repeated. I was not aware of the effect of giving leader status. I was giving ranks up to make him able to move people over teamspeak. Even after HC rank in ts, he was unable to move for some odd reason.

And what comes to the fight with AC, my point of view is that we outnumbered them and I believe with decent calls we would have cleared them.

Promotions

I'm still not 100% sure about the guideline of what to say and what to not say to members. I once said to member that most likely not all ranks are going to ex-officials and in future there will be future promotions as I believe the clan will grow. I later heard I was telling too much. I will now on say the sentence which Rob stated on his post.

I myself would like to keep the community as relaxed as possible without losing the authority towards our members or future members. I want Valhalla to be taken seriously by other clans. I dont want Valhalla look like Circle Jerks.

We got this up and running, so I hope we keep doing what we've done and rise how we used to be few years ago.

A lot of mistakes has been done recently, but I hope we (mostly me and Brandon) learn about them and make wiser decisions next time.

<p style="text-align:center;"><span style="color:#ffffff;"><em>"I hate to lose more than I love to win."</em></span><br><br>0H7HOEC.png</p><p style="text-align:center;">YBX0dG0.png</p><p style="text-align:center;">hm7Yd9I.png </p><p style="text-align:center;"> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="http://leetscape.com/">Rangish_Tank.png</a></p><p style="text-align:center;"><span style="color:#ffffff;">Also known as Sad Def Noob - the first truly maxed ranged tank with 99 Summoning.</span></p>

Røb

Røb

Overlord
Archived

C8FUbUi.png

Σκιά Ηγέτης

Røb

Røb

Overlord

the shit I had to deal with....

C8FUbUi.png

Σκιά Ηγέτης

Ṧṫȅɣꝃꙩ

Ṧṫȅɣꝃꙩ

Legend
RSN: OutBreak313
Damn where was I lmao

Valhalla Leader Since 2008 and Oldest Lasting Member

"I just been smoking some purple haze...and....all I see is bodies everywhere mayne." SKEETAH 2015

Røb

Røb

Overlord
  • Basically, this is the last run for Valhalla with Old School RS. The question is this: Do we want to be taken seriously by PKers and clanners alike as a serious, reputable clan, or do we want to run things in a more lenient fashion with lax standards and be seen by most as a glorified cc team?

Don't know about you but I'm not a fan of dragging Valhalla's name in shit instead of seizing on the unique opportunity we have to build ourselves back up as a serious clan.

Basically why I got dragged back into that shit lmfao

C8FUbUi.png

Σκιά Ηγέτης

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users