Register Now

When not signing into a registered account, you're missing out on several benefits:

- Access to view all public forum sections and posts

- Create and reply to status updates

- View others' member profiles

- Contact other members

- Create and post in your topics

- Manage your own profiles

.. And much more.

CLICK HERE NOW TO REGISTER

Photo

Honest question from a new GoT watcher

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Nose

Nose

Honored Ex-VH
RSN: Isak

Is there anything more gained from actually watching the show instead of reading summaries?

I finished watching season one and, well, it wasn't too bad for a soap opera :kayne: but it was still rather melodramatic, in my humble opinion.

Disciple of Hafen Slawkenbergius, Prof. emeritus, dr.nasus

lHKIC.png

Spoiler

Click here for Yellowpillow and Nose of Sai's questing service

Orc

Orc

Hero
RSN: 4f7263

I read and moderately enjoyed the books but I've had a hard time watching the show. Maybe it's just that I know how everything will play out, maybe it's that I can read in a couple of minutes what takes an hour of video to get through.

Nose

Nose

Honored Ex-VH

I read and moderately enjoyed the books but I've had a hard time watching the show. Maybe it's just that I know how everything will play out, maybe it's that I can read in a couple of minutes what takes an hour of video to get through.

Yeah… Feels a bit like Naruto ended up: check in every five episodes to see if anything actually happened yet :down:

lHKIC.png

Spoiler

Evan

Evan

Overlord
RSN: Evan Bruh

I started watching it 2 months ago and just finished season 4. I enjoyed pretty much every episode and i'm sure by just watching/reading the episode recaps, you're taking away a lot of the substance and self realization you would've had by watching it normally.

Btw I've realized that almost nothing is irrelevant and there's a lot you won't understand at first but will have meaning later on.

K5nHQXf.png

AYydoLr.png

Nose

Nose

Honored Ex-VH

I started watching it 2 months ago and just finished season 4. I enjoyed pretty much every episode and i'm sure by just watching/reading the episode recaps, you're taking away a lot of the substance and self realization you would've had by watching it normally.

Btw I've realized that almost nothing is irrelevant and there's a lot you won't understand at first but will have meaning later on.

I am being a little facetious, as I don't mean it's a bad show, but I'd maybe place it in company of shows like StarGate: Universe and, well, Naruto, though I'm by no means huge on shows in general.

And I'm not so foolish as to read summaries in advance :P

lHKIC.png

Spoiler

BroScience

BroScience

Hero
RSN: GodWasATank

I agree with what Evan said, you may not have an understanding of the small instances in the episodes now, but it is most likely foreshadowing 

I love the show and really cant wait for the next season

xHIdYTS.png
eolPcQb.gif

SFBeCYl.gif

Rodney__King

Rodney__King

Special Guest
RSN: Rodney__King

Is there anything more gained from actually watching the show instead of reading summaries?

I finished watching season one and, well, it wasn't too bad for a soap opera :kayne: but it was still rather melodramatic, in my humble opinion.

The books are much better. I had started reading the books about 1.5years before the released the TV series, and they have so much more detail and subplots.

Just my opinion, the TV series is ok, guess it gives you a picture in your head as to what the things may look like in the book.

0d62772b4a.jpg

sxztyw.jpg

|Rodney__King| |Ex-Leader Higher Force| |Zerg Unit Applicant|
|ZU Site| |ZU IRC: #zu| |ZU Requirements| ZU Tube

Tsunade

Tsunade

Forum Guest
RSN: TsunadeSama

Well i like the books alot havent seen the series itself yet. although i really want to ... mannn where is the time!

WEBYtXQ.gif

The way i hit? 

AcemZFm.gif

Lionheart

Lionheart

RSN: Brit Zerk

Watch Vikings it's better

tKKYJhp.jpg

Spoiler

Nose

Nose

Honored Ex-VH

The books are much better. I had started reading the books about 1.5years before the released the TV series, and they have so much more detail and subplots.

Just my opinion, the TV series is ok, guess it gives you a picture in your head as to what the things may look like in the book.

I can imagine the books are more interesting, maybe I'll take a look

:ghjjf:

I agree with what Evan said, you may not have an understanding of the small instances in the episodes now, but it is most likely foreshadowing 

I love the show and really cant wait for the next season

I have noticed a few instances of foreshadowing, most blatantly that white haired airy-fairy woman's (I don't think I could have made a more ridiculous character if I had tried) hands not getting burnt from touching the hot eggs.

My main problem with the series is that when the plot drags out and out and out, it's the characters who carry the burden. A bunch of intrigues with characters I for the most part find melodramatic (and sometimes even ludicrous) means, to me, that there isn't much substance besides what you'd typically find in a summary. Though to be fair, it's difficult to live up to all the adulation and in addition, where I expected something akin to high fantasy I found a political drama set in what's virtually a low fantasy world.

I guess I'll see if I can't recalibrate my expectations and see what I think then. :smile17:

lHKIC.png

Spoiler

Maserati V8

Maserati V8

Hero
RSN: Runepure: Maserati V8

i only watch this for khaleesi

khaleesi_by_fan_de_kirby-d4ygvhw.jpg

tumblr_mbqqb1z2T61r8omuyo1_500.gif

ydF6Tnj.gif

8ba7bf386272fc7c5e0ea16d09c5b1a7.png

The Sure Sign of an unmistakable design 

Lionheart

Lionheart

RSN: Brit Zerk

Don't believe me? Kiss my rump

Just for a minute let's all do the bump

tKKYJhp.jpg

Spoiler

Orc

Orc

Hero
RSN: 4f7263

My main problem with the series is that when the plot drags out and out and out, it's the characters who carry the burden. A bunch of intrigues with characters I for the most part find melodramatic (and sometimes even ludicrous) means, to me, that there isn't much substance besides what you'd typically find in a summary. Though to be fair, it's difficult to live up to all the adulation and in addition, where I expected something akin to high fantasy I found a political drama set in what's virtually a low fantasy world.

I guess I'll see if I can't recalibrate my expectations and see what I think then. :smile17:

That's a decent microcosm of my complaints about the books. Aside from the prose being mediocre at best if you're used to really high-caliber English writing, imo the author fails at making many characters possible to empathize with and then acts like the reader's empathy is a given. When character you don't give a shit about #34 dies a horrible death, I have a hard time taking it seriously because it's the nth time that exact pattern has repeated itself. The author's gimmick of deliberately subverting the reader's expectations of what's supposed to happen in a fantasy story (i.e. killing off characters at the most unexpected time) is neat at first but gets really stale as soon as you realize what the trick is and modify your expectations. It goes from entertaining to monotonous a little too fast.

Swedn

Swedn

Hero
RSN: Swedn

I got through first season liked the cool environment n shit but got kinda bored halfway through the second season so i stopped

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users