Valhalla was the second Rune Pure & Tank clan in RuneScape, officially founded in early 2007, with it being in the works throughout 2006. At the time, only one other such clan existed (Higher Force); T H E Do0rs founded the clan with the vision of creating an alternative to this clan. Starting out as an east-dragons PK team, Valhalla quickly established its dominance and had many competitive rivalries in both Pre-EoC and OSRS.

In its final chapter in OSRS, Valhalla established itself as not only the best and last Rune Pure clan in game after defeating and closing its rivals, but as a force to be reckoned with in the P2P clan world amongst the biggest names in the clan world. They also maintained a thriving community, with the second most active forums below Reign of Terror's.

Presently, a "sister" clan, Avalon, exists for those still wanting to be a part of the community. In many ways, it is "the" Rune Pure & Tank community, as it is the only clan containing veterans of the original community & contains Leaders of Higher Force, Valhalla, Phalanx, and Anarchy, Empyrean of OSRS.

Register Now

When not signing into a registered account, you're missing out on several benefits:

- Access to view all public forum sections and posts

- Create and reply to status updates

- View others' member profiles

- Contact other members

- Create and post in your topics

- Manage your own profiles

.. And much more.

CLICK HERE NOW TO REGISTER

Posted Image

Photo

Musical Retrospection: The Killers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Nose

Nose

Honored Ex-VH
RSN: Isak
IRC: Nose_of_Sai

Introduction

How do you classify The Killers? I'm not sure, so I looked it up on Wikipedia: they were no help. So here they are, under the tag pop. I use pop only to mean popular (a rather objectively ascertainable value), and is not intended to be derisive. Difficult to pin down to one genre (generally a positive, IMHO), The Killers play music drawing on influences as diverse as i.e. Hunter S. Thompson, Johnny Cash and Pet Shop Boys (source: Wikipedia).

Is this retrospectionthey released an album in 2013 and are planning another! To this I can only answer: maybe it isn't retrospection. But sometime after 2008, after the release of Day & Age, the band went on a hiatus due to personal matters and I haven't listened to their latest album. So for me this is retrospection at least. Since we're doing personal matters, I might as well mention that my first experience with The Killers was being gifted their first album, Hot Fuss, in 2004, my eleventh birthday. Sam's Town was, if I remember correctly, a gift from my maternal grandmother. I forget how I came to acquire their third album, the compilation album Sawdust, but I have that one as well. I can't remember how Day & Age entered my possession either, but I have it. Somewhere. I can't find it. As you might have guessed, I have a somewhat nostalgic relathionship with The Killers, hence it is—at least for me—retrospection.

A great deal of trouble was suffered in the course of selecting the songs I will highlight. I hope therefore that they do bring some enjoyment, in spite of being amongst the less accessible of their tracks.

Andy You're a Star

The riff. Oh sweet merciful God, the riff. What is the bloody deal with that riff? What is it doing? I don't get it! And Brandon's singing? And the lyrics! What the actual fuck? What is going on here! Who the fuck is Andy?

Sorry guys: I don't know. I'm still wondering, eleven years later. But I love this fucking song.

Who Let You Go

A personal favourite from their compilation album, Sawdust, Who Let You Go is a heavily repetitive track with a refrain consisting of one line (Who let you go? and some sha-la-la-ing). The track has a rather distinct eighties vibe, but does it, in my opinion, without being old-fashioned or, if you will, archaic. No band member features too prominently on the track, perhaps a defining characteristic of The Killers, maybe except for Flowers's sultry moans: Somebody must have loved you/Not the way that I do...

Uncle Jonny

This refrainless track (which has a cool riff) is the story of Jonny, who is a crazed cocaine addict: Feel a burning in your body's core/It's a yearning that you can't ignore. The song is based on a family member of Summers's, who—in spite of shooting himself and his drug addiction—always pulled through (source: NME). The track mixes two first person POVs: Jonny's and a kin or friend's: [Spoken] Hey Jonny I got faith in you man/I mean it, it's gonna be all right

Generally Speaking

This treaty on The Killers's music will has been about specifics. There is one natural explanation for this: I find their musical output, for the most part, eludes generalization to a surprisingly high degree.

One general tendency I have noted, however, is a personal one: the hits I find generally to be bland (albeit catchy and well-produced), and inevitably grow trite, dull, old. The songs I most appreciate is what I will call their oddball tracks, the tracks that confound you at first, the tracks that elude your interest for some time before you crack their code. With this said, it might be no surprise that Sawdust is my favourite album of theirs, with Hot Fuss most likely a second, Sam's Town in third and Day & Age at fourth. I like them all, but in Day & Age, I felt for the first time that none of the songs stood out as truly interesting (all the songs are so slick and polished! The best track on the album, according to me, is Neon Tiger), and though Human made a splash commerically, it was no Mr. Brightside or Jenny was a Friend of Mine.

Another general tendency is that, on most tracks, no particular band member is given a more prominent position than the others. I say this half in jest, because Brandon Summers is the most well known member by a landslide and the most prominent writer. Even so, his singing isn't made a big fuss of; instead, his it's usually done in a sober manner which suits the track.

Honourable mention:
Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll - another oddball. I like this song very very much indeed, yes.

And because fuck it, it deserves an honourable mention as well: Benjamin Britten's opera intended to be sung by children and amateurs: Noye's Fludde. The thing is pure awesome.

Edited by Nose, 12 August 2015 - 01:49 PM.

Disciple of Hafen Slawkenbergius, Prof. emeritus, dr.nasus

lHKIC.png

Spoiler

Click here for Yellowpillow and Nose of Sai's questing service

Press99

Press99

Forum Guest

too much to read its late, maybe tomorrow

Glumy

Glumy

Hero
RSN: Glumy
IRC: Glumy

I find them really boring.

Posted Image

Nose

Nose

Honored Ex-VH

nou :kayne:

Out of curiosity, what do you like?

Edited by Nose, 12 August 2015 - 02:50 PM.

lHKIC.png

Spoiler

Glumy

Glumy

Hero

Uhm, i'm not sure I can define what I like. I don't limit myself to only one genre, so I can feel like listening to Taylor Swift's songs one day, and Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother the next.

Posted Image

Nose

Nose

Honored Ex-VH

Uhm, i'm not sure I can define what I like. I don't limit myself to only one genre, so I can feel like listening to Taylor Swift's songs one day, and Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother the next.

Fair enough. As far as Pink Floyd goes, interesting, unconventional choice :pimp:  (presuming you meant to highlight your favourite album of theirs). I have a friend who claims it is their best; we can't agree (my favourite is maybe Animals or perhaps Piper at the Gates of Dawn), but she is a much bigger Pink Floyd fan than I am, so I usually yield in the end (incidentally she finds The Killers boring too :lol: )

Edited by Nose, 12 August 2015 - 03:24 PM.

lHKIC.png

Spoiler

tha sour

tha sour

Special Guest
RSN: tha sour, Sour Jr
IRC: tha_sour

I liked the killers when I was like 13-14 but now that I'm older I just can't listen to them.  Meh.

Tha_Sour.png
Y4SXOsI.png

Nose

Nose

Honored Ex-VH

I liked the killers when I was like 13-14 but now that I'm older I just can't listen to them.  Meh.

If you tried to penetrate the veil, you might find them interesting again :yes:

lHKIC.png

Spoiler

Lionheart

Lionheart

RSN: Brit Zerk
IRC: Endless

:ghjjf:

tKKYJhp.jpg

Spoiler

Glumy

Glumy

Hero

Fair enough. As far as Pink Floyd goes, interesting, unconventional choice :pimp:  (presuming you meant to highlight your favourite album of theirs). I have a friend who claims it is their best; we can't agree (my favourite is maybe Animals or perhaps Piper at the Gates of Dawn), but she is a much bigger Pink Floyd fan than I am, so I usually yield in the end (incidentally she finds The Killers boring too :lol: )

I used it as an example because of how big the difference between both is. I put The Killers in the same group as Muse and Coldplay: popular rock bands that really don't say anything to me.

Posted Image

Nose

Nose

Honored Ex-VH

I used it as an example because of how big the difference between both is. I put The Killers in the same group as Muse and Coldplay: popular rock bands that really don't say anything to me.

Very well. But your conception is precisely what I embarked to dispel with tracks like Uncle Jonny, a track I find interesting with regards to structure, interplay between band members, lyrics, and sound landscape. I suppose you're unfamiliar with my listening habits, but The Killers, oddly enough, are in a minority of artists interesting enough to coax me away from the world of classical music (Western art music, if you want to be fancy about it; classical music in a narrow sense is Viennese classicism) in which there is so fantastically much more variation, skilled experimentation, sheer artistry and so on.

Insofar it is possible, I'll leave the room if somebody plays Coldplay. They are intolerable.

Edit: I might also point out that, although I did not stress that point or articulate it very emphatically, I do lament the direction they took with Day & Age, i.e. the course of generic pop artists. I'll also add that I appreciate your comments very much; they challenge me to think further than I would have done otherwise.

Edited by Nose, 12 August 2015 - 05:38 PM.

lHKIC.png

Spoiler

Glumy

Glumy

Hero

Very well. But your conception is precisely what I embarked to dispel with tracks like Uncle Jonny, a track I find interesting with regards to structure, interplay between band members, lyrics, and sound landscape. I suppose you're unfamiliar with my listening habits, but The Killers, oddly enough, are in a minority of artists interesting enough to coax me away from the world of classical music (Western art music, if you want to be fancy about it; classical music in a narrow sense is Viennese classicism) in which there is so fantastically much more variation, skilled experimentation, sheer artistry and so on.

Insofar it is possible, I'll leave the room if somebody plays Coldplay. They are intolerable.

Edit: I might also point out that, although I did not stress that point or articulate it very emphatically, I do lament the direction they took with Day & Age, i.e. the course of generic pop artists. I'll also add that I appreciate your comments very much; they challenge me to think further than I would have done otherwise.

That's interesting. I don't know what it is that makes them be one of the few artists outside classical music that you'd like, seeing as there are many artists who are far superior to them outside of it. It all comes down to taste, I suppose.

Posted Image

BroScience

BroScience

Hero
RSN: GodWasATank
IRC: BroScience

so much text to read

i like their music tho

xHIdYTS.png
eolPcQb.gif

SFBeCYl.gif

Nose

Nose

Honored Ex-VH

That's interesting. I don't know what it is that makes them be one of the few artists outside classical music that you'd like, seeing as there are many artists who are far superior to them outside of it. It all comes down to taste, I suppose.

Well see, when you say far superior, I naturally disagree. I find their strongest suits, like with The Beatles, are composition and band dynamics. If you look at the history of The Killers, you'll also find that their stay in LA is not wholly unlike that of The Beatles in Hamburg (I don't mean to say The Killers are as good as The Beatles though; The Beatles were more innovative and original as well as capable of more variation). Their weakest suit is perhaps that many of their strongest tracks (considered so by me) come off as boring at first glance in a market where generic catchiness is king (hence, IMO, the direction taken with Day & Age).

lHKIC.png

Spoiler

Maserati V8

Maserati V8

Hero
RSN: Runepure: Maserati V8
IRC: -

so much text to read

i like their music tho

tumblr_mbqqb1z2T61r8omuyo1_500.gif